Friday, April 19, 2013

I am what I am, are you?

This week was a week where we saw terror at a marathon in Boston.  Home to home searches, death, and a government decision to avert due process including Miranda rights.

Many may suggest that this is necessary.  I do not.  I crave and care for the civil rights of all people.  When those civil rights are impacted, out of supposed necessity, I am concerned about what that will do in the future.

So much of the diversity I cherish in America comes from those who are unique, powerful in their own perception of reality.  Minority communities are often marginalized until people from that community refuse any longer to tolerate being anything other than equal.  The Black Community, Women, The LGBT Community, Asians, Hispanics, those from Eastern Europe, from Africa, and those who worship differently. 

The contributions to our culture is imbued with the differences of these communities and their beliefs.  Our music is constantly renewed and reenergized as people hear new sounds, new beats, new ways to hear old souls, old wisdom and old cultures.

Terrorism, bullying, intimidation, control, superiority, power.   All have costs and consequences, all are responses to past hurts and behaviors.  Without an examination of the past, an identification of the issues, an embrace of the mistakes and an appreciation for the soul, these acts will continue.  Manipulation, betrayal, and the belief that one does not have other options lead to this path of destruction that so impacts societies worldwide, further hurting communities dulling many to the horror, inhibiting their abilities toward forgiveness, sympathy and love.

After a terrible week for our nation as we relived terrorism in Boston, while we watched with concern the pursuit of two boys as they killed, I worried.  Will we resolve to expect more terrorism?  Will we search for solutions or accept it into our lives?  Are there alternatives that do not destroy our cherished civil rights as this government the last 12 years, from both political parties, so callously ignore and are unwilling to restore?

Diversity of our minority communities enhance not only our music, but our economy.  The immigration of those who are new to our culture revitalizes our own.  Let us not forget to embrace their courage, their struggle, and the discrimination and possible persecution that would move them to want to start over, flee to our land, or simply want a better life.

I enjoy the authentic Indian food I purchase at the indian outlet in the Mission Valley Mall, Monsoon is a great place for the exploration and enjoyment.  When I want other ethnic food, I explore to my hearts content.

Diversity in our music and our food leads to greater diversity in our economy.  Dollars in the LGBT Community simply for travel grows LGBT Friendly economies significantly.  Forbes Magazine in 2011 reported "10 Things You Need to Know about Gay Travel" listing that over $65 Billion in LGBT travel in the US alone is generated from the LGBT Community.  When it comes to choosing one hotel over another, price and gay-friendly reputation are top priorities.  So, being friendly is important, but more important is that you support the organizations that the community trusts.  It is no surprise that major cities where states accept gay marriage have huge revenue generation in their economies.

Diversity matters.  Americans are proud of their individualism and American minority communities are no different.  They embrace America and its opportunities while appreciating their uniqueness in belief and culture.  Appreciating America in its diversity is the first step to understanding our ability to respond to crisis around the world.  For, it is likely, we identify with someone personally from that area of the world.

At the end of the day, I embrace the diversity of the American culture.  I accept that there are parts I do not appreciate as much as others.  Admittedly, I have said that Rap music has a silent "C" in the name.  I do not enjoy the extremist nature of those who suggest they need uzzies to protect their second amendment rights. 

Yet, I admire the passion, the openness, the courage of those who walk down the street daring others to judge them.  I appreciate the person who "comes out" expecting hate yet surprised at the acceptance.  I am moved by those who unite behind someone who carries the burden of another.  See, ultimately, in our diversity, we face the same struggles for love, acceptance, joy, and the pursuit of happiness.

In an effort to confirm your belief in Diversity, I hope you will share this with others.  And, include the following link, or one similar in your honoring of diversity.  La Cage Aux Folles likely sang it best, though many voices have sung it at the top of their lungs across continents since. 

Let's turn our thoughts to those who embrace the diversity we cherish. Your life is a sham until you can say "Hey, World, I am what I am". Whether you say it as Popeye or as a performer in La Cage Aux Folles, I embrace who I am. I hope you will embrace who you are and enjoy the diversity of differences. 

It certainly makes my world more vibrant. My closest friends are those who are unabashed to be who they are. I trust in their individualism, appreciate their history, their courage, and their power. You may not always think the delivery is perfect, but the pure honesty is what makes it so valuable to me. Care to share your favorite performance of "I am what I am" or what makes you appreciate the differences between you and your friends? Diveristy can unite. What do you appreciate in someone else? Post it here then tell that person. I am what I am, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment