Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ethel Merman, Musicals and Passion of the Heart

In my family, being the hostess means something.  My grandmother always prepared what to others might be considered a feast, but to us seemed normal.  Each generation has their host or hostess responsibility, male or female, each has their role.  Perhaps that is why we all enjoy company.

Meals around food.  Always having something to share.  Cookies in the jar, refreshments available.  Gathering for a drink.  Dinner after Church.  Spending time with others but always making other welcome to join the party.  Rubbing elbows, telling stories, encouraging debate and discussion, guiding appropriateness.  Speaking our mind from a place of love and care.  Encouraging others to pursue goals, dreams, and hopes.  Being called the hostess with the mostest is the highest honor. 

Sometimes I toy with the idea of whether Hillary can sing, wing the Presidency and start of her speech by singing the song just to shock the nation into cooperation.  I know I'd vote with her just to see it happen!

Perhaps, I am more like Ethel than I care to admit.  Brash, a song in my step, and somewhat direct.  Comfortable on stage, always passionate in motivating others and ready to go the extra mile to make something work for someone else.  Its important that people achieve what they love, and its amazing when they are honored to have help.
   
Let me share a special memory.  One of the first times that Carleton hung out with me, I already had set in my mind, through Netflix to watch "Call Me Madam".  When he arrived, to his horror, I was presenting only one option, a musical.  Poor boy didn't know what was coming and was considering the alternatives.

Within moments, years after her passing, Ethel had Carleton's attention.  He was moving, enjoying the performance, and even was so engaged, asked to see her perform "Hostest with the Mostest" a second time.  I lauged, but started it the second time.  Just to see whether he would even get up just to join in.  I'll keep the answer a secret.

I have attached two of my favorite songs from musicals.  It is from this very movie.  You may roll your eyes like Carleton did, but maybe like Carleton, within 5 minutes, you will be singing or dancing along with Ethel.  It certainly is  one of his first "favorite moments" and we smile and have even suggested certain nurses at UCSD qualify as the Hostess with the Mostest when he has stayed there. 
 
The second song perhaps defines for me what love is.  Some, at the church where I pastored in Portland will remember Cynthia Butts and I performing "You're Not Sick, Your Just in Love" in a talent show. 

It certainly describes love for many.  It can't be judged, it can only be defined.  How helpful when someone else can help explain the feelings without having to know to whom you have those feelings.

For years, I always sang the part of the junior of the duet.  It seems lately, let's just say, I sing the "older" part.  Likely the other reason at times I identify with the Broadway Lady Herself, Ethel.  Performance, a rhythm in your step, and a song in your heart.  No matter the circumstance, it is a recipe for recovery and facing life's events, no matter how serious.

It still is a relatively current message, as Chenowith and Lane, sing the very same song.  At least, I don't have the velvet gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment