Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Role of Music, Leonard Bernstein, America, and Immigration

There are few things I would like to be other than what I am.  Years ago, I decided not to pursue music as my career.  Few see me dance publically any more.  I am rarely without a song playing in my head or a song being hummed, whistled or sung on my lips.  I thank God every day for parents who encouraged singing and pursuing music.  I am forever thankful to an Aunt who forced me into choirs, a school that offered orchestra, and a church where I could sing all kinds of music.  I loved performing in musicals, performing in choirs, and performing in concert whether in a symphony or chorus.  I worry daily about the course of America without music in its schools for many reasons I will not pursue today.

I secretly crave only two goals in life.  I would love to direct a symphony.  The other skill?  Be able to create and direct with the skill of Leonard Bernstein or Stephen Sondheim.  Their abilities to provide comment on current events or the human condition defies imagination.  Eloquently, musically and with an uncanny ability to engage everyone while everyone joins in song.  Their abilities to examine reality and remind us of our humanity while encouraging a change in beliefs are masterful.  They expressed hope, demanded forgiveness, proclaimed diversity over adversity and their words continue to challenge current thought in the process.  They were able to accomplish these goals while creating masterful new and amazing compositions in music, putting words and music together that sear into our brains, demanding instant recall whenever a portion of a song is performed.  Their ability to create these orchestrations to international acclaim continues well after they no longer personally comment.

Instead, my own comments are simply comment.  I am limited to discourse.  I can pursue with words and my limited ability to masterfully use vocabulary to convey my opinion and values.  No ability to write music, add verbiage, then through the combination, herald change that everyone within hearing begin to respond to in song or in step.  I add one voice for change, for tolerance, for inclusion, for hope, for forgiveness, for the values I believe America represents - Freedom, Justice, Inclusion, and many, many more positive values.  I would love for it to be more like Bernstein.

Like Leonard Bernstein, I care about America and its inclusion and treatment of those who come to Ameria or want to come to America.  Today, we continue, as a nation to argue about the value of immigration, treating those who crave to be first generation Americans as suspect and possibly unworthy.  With economic challenges, we worry about the economics of scarcity rather than abundance.  Yet, from all areas of the Globe, people hunger for the potential they can achieve.  In America, we provide the best hope for those achievements.  Our focus on individual freedom balanced with our belief in community defies government after government, creating the strongest nation in the World.

Many in different lands hope to live in America, not the place, but a place with those values..  Perhaps we do live in the greatest place on Earth despite the political divisions and challenges, the defined discrimination of others and the outright denial of benefits of some in our society.

One day, certainly as Bernstein would wish, I look forward to a day where we harmoniously sing and dance, providing new songs for all Americans.  An America where we joyously sing while providing opportunity for those who want to be Americans to join us on stage to perform as enthusiastically those songs and dances without restraint.  It is far better for us to do so than keeping them behind the curtains, in the dark, praying we will one day do just that.

In West Side Story, Bernstein showed us the challenges of living in America, discussing gangs, and renewing a focus on the frustrations of living in a society of tension, hatred where love often is destroyed through gun violence.  Leonard Bernstein projected this thought many years ago with Glee replaying it for a new generation of Americans.  I join with Bernstein and (Glee's America performance), hoping people continue to join the chorus to welcome immigrants to America, on stage, in harmony, encouraging them to learn the dances, add their accents, their values, so they too can live in America.  I hope you will join me in singing along, dancing, and urging these changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment