Sunday, March 10, 2013

Celebrating 20 years of friendships and relationships at the same firm

Tonight, I shared dinner with Rob Abernathy, a Managing Principal of Waddell & Reed who leads the W&R office in Chicago. We had a great visit, discussed work, corporate, conversed about national LGBT issues he faces in Chicago and I face in San Diego, his work at HRC, and my work at GSDBA. During this dinner with his partner, he confirmed he talked with mutual friends at home office. Prior to our dinner, he had reached out to Cathie Kremling Suchecki to see what she had followed on Facebook about Carleton to make sure he was up to date. He mentioned the friendship I have with Kathy Wiltsey Horton, he shared conversations he overheard where I have been the subject, and her advocacy of me in home office, just as I was mentioning how much I appreciate her friendship and her abilities. We shared and caught up, promising to meeting in Florida in June.

Last week, Brian Fields visited our San Diego office. He was one of the first W&R professionals I met in Portland in March 1993. March 2013 marks my 20th year anniversary with this company. Brian took me to lunch last week to visit and check in on me, my health, and my business growth. 

Tonight, Rob Abernathy, during our conversation provided my first anniversary present. He shared the gift of friendship, loyalty of professional friendships, and the individual care that only another party can confirm. As I drove home, reflecting on the conversation, recounting the many names, personalities, and relationships I have met with people at W&R, I gained appreciation for their care for me, their value of me, and some even may consider that I'm pretty special. While many would agree I am somewhat unique, the mutual feelings of respect, care, and friendship is returned with my famous smile, loud presence, and vibrant thoughts. 

Tonight, I want to thank Rob, Cathie, Kathy, Karen, Vanessa, Steve, JJ, Stan Renskers, Daralee Barbera and the Costa Mesa Office, John Ramos, Scott Rose, James Bowie Haug and the San Diego office advisors and staff, Brian Fields, Barbara Harris-Jovert, Mike Gerken (ret) and the amazing leaders who continue there, Cleland Knox and the compliance team who works to keep me on the narrow, along with the amazingly professional and patient people working to serve the Choice Platform, the leadership and service teams at Home Office, and the local Lake Oswego Office advisors. The affiliate business friends from Tim Ripp and AOCP, to Securian and my friends there. A special appreciation to the original team in Portland who recruited me, trained me, were patient with me, and put up with me in the Portland Office starting in 1993 for my first 10 years. Some have moved on, some have passed on, some have retired, but some remain.

More than anything, this 20th anniversary is more my family (my mom & dad, brother and sister) and about the many clients who selected me, made me care, made me follow through, made me worry, and made me a passionate professional. If it wasn't for their faith, trust, loyalty, and commitment, I wouldn't have become successful and continued for 20 years with the same company, serving these clients. These special relationship matter. They continue to work with me, push me, energize me, and excite me to work with them. Yet, they also remind me that balance in my own life matters to them. Home matters can be just as important as serving them. I appreciate the many relationships and while I have never claimed or could be perfect, they allow me to serve them passionately.

This company has made an impact in my life, my clients futures, and has supported me, my community, and those I call family. This company has allowed me to shape how I work with people daily, providing me an opportunity to impact my community in many ways for the last 20 years. I am so grateful that many of those same clients, same friends, and fellow W&R related people consider me their friend, their advocate, their family.

Wow, 20 years, how about we continue to look forward together for another 20? Imagine what we will continue to do together, perhaps reach the many goals we have selected to pursue.

Thank you for setting aside time for dinner, Rob! The passing example that individuals across the country care about me, personally, and what I do every day, with whom I share my life, and what issues I face is surprisingly important to me. The conversation today increased my appreciation of people I have met over the years who consider their professional decisions with the impact on me personally regularly. They even appreciate our short visits in person and over the phone (and even facebook). This company and the individuals I have met are truly part of my family and they gladly include me. On its own, this value sets W&R apart from other options I could make. The people in this company, the long term relationships developed, and the clients I serve daily and personally truly makes for a special position I do not always appreciate but I do always enjoy. The surprises, like dinner tonight, by someone who didn't have to see me, visit, or splurge, and these special friendships and relationships are truly what makes the 20 years worth celebrating. 

Without these people, I am certain I would never have continued at one firm to serve the amazing community of individuals I serve.

Tonight, I acknowledge that 20 years of amazing, growing, and special friendships. I am lucky to have found this career, luckier to work at this company. And, overwhelmingly lucky to be in partnership with clients I continue to be very thankful to serve. To all of you, from my heart to yours. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment